Drawing Studio was an intensive drawing class. My professor was Katie Baines. For the first half of the semester Katie would set up huge, overwhelming still lives for us to draw. It was pretty amazing, we would just set up our boards and our paper and start drawing. We played with lots of different types of medium, graphite, charcoal, ink, paint, conte and plenty more. The second half of the semester we had models come in so we could study the human figure. Overall, the students in this class got better at drawing because we learned the difference between what we see and what we think we see.
I loved this class. I never knew that I loved drawing so much! At times, I really got into it, and I was staying up till like four in the morning to make sure my homework was done. I really learned that I love to build up values. And, I mean, I think that is good, but Katie introduced me to line. Don't get me wrong, I know what a line is, and how to use it in art, I know line, shape, form and all that. But, in reality, there is no such thing as a line. Where is there a line? Show me. I've never seen one. And, I mean.. why would I want to create something that doesn't exist? if we are drawing what we see, why would I draw something that I don't see- something that can't bee seen. But Katie got it through my thick head and made it clear
In addition to my learning of the "line", which was a big thing for me, I learned a great deal about citing, proportions, different mediums, styles and a whole lot more! I think that I learned a lot of things that hasn't been named yet. Like, ideas that you just comprehend- that aren't a things. I know that doesn't make sense. But, I just learned a lot.
One of the most interesting things that I learned from Katie's class is that everything doesn't always have to be clean and neat. We didn't alwa
It probably sounds like I am a major suck up- but, I am being really honest. (I mean, my professor would never read this blog) I'll admit that this class was really intense and Katie can be a little bit scary sometimes. But, overall great teacher, great class. I learned a lot.
7 comments:
i just had a conversation in our class about how no one ever draws the penis on the figure models, you just proved me wrong, which is awesome because that way a big pet peeve of mine.
Aaah I remember you drawing that guy. Looks really good. He was a great model. Way better than that girl who was forever fucking moving her hands.
katie are you going to do communication arts for drawing? or was it art education i cant remember, anyways, I think youd be awesome in comm arts!! your drawings have character :)
your drawings are really good
That's pretty amusing that Katie told you to learn lines while she always told my perfect-line-quality-self to start building up the forms like you in particular always do so well. I was talking to Matt about it and he had a good point - that she's not there to agree wth everything we do but instead the exact opposite - she gets paid to tell us we're wrong no matter what and teach us a new way of ding things. His comment made me a lot more open to her suggestions.
Looks like figure drawing is something very easy for you!.....I would never draw a foot or a hand....too hard for me.. that's why I drew the penis....much easier! .....It's just embarassing when the teacher is on you back watching you drawing just when your smudging and shading it..... aaah! ...still, its the easiest!
i love your drawing style, especially in the one of the model!
Post a Comment