
I have heard a lot of people complain about this class, but I actually like it. Maybe I just have a good professor? My professor's name is Dr. Marx. I know that he used to be a professor for the philosophy department. I'm not sure if he still does or not. From what I gather he is a pretty smart guy. He talks really slow, I think that he analyzes everything that he says before it leaves his mouth. The first day of class he showed us a Simpson's character that he created of himself on a website. In my opinion, and represents him well. I've noticed that he only wears long sleeve shirts, and when I asked him about it he told me it was the only kind his wife buys him. There are rumors that he has sleeved tattoo's- but I don't buy it. He is one of those guys who are just funny to watch sometimes. He tells jokes every fortnight, which I find to be amusing.
The class as a whole I find to be pretty interesting and entertaining. We mostly discuss things that are going around the campus, Virginia, the nation and the world. Current events are a main thing, both local and global. In class we discuss controversial issues, conduct group presentations of interest related to the controversial issues, and write papers. Nothing more, nothing less. The topics change periodically, and everybody picks a different issue regarding the topic, so it makes for interesting conversation. We get to hear all the facts from all sides of the debate.
For me, I feel like this is the class that brings me back to reality. I feel like if I didn't have this class I would be in a constant dreamland. I love to just go off and do my own thing, think my own thoughts without interruption. Focused inquiry is definitely an interruption, but it is a nice interruption. Ya know, its nice to see how things are going every once in a while. Current events are what is going around us, now, and I think without this class, I would not pull my head out of the ground to realize what is actually going on in the world. This class also helps me to realize other people's points of views, and how they came up with these views. All of the people around me have such extremely different ideas and opinions, I just think it is all so amazing.
I also like this class a ton because I feel that it has helped me to become a better debater and a better writer. I mean, I don't plan on writing a novel or poetry anytime soon. But, it is nice to have that skill on your hands for whenever you need to write something important. Writing is a big thing. I think it is a great way to get thoughts and ideas through. And being good at debating can also help you get your points across.
1 comment:
Katie, I agree with you about Focused Inquiry and Dr. Marx. He is very funny to me, too, as are the other people in the class. That class is always good for a laugh. Thanks for the nice things you said about working with me on the Time Studio project. I also found you easy to work with, and more importantly, very on target and organized. I find all your projects to be super-well-done.
Post a Comment